IMPORTANT NOTE: Due to the Coronavirus pandemic restriction measurements in place, some exceptional measurements and procedures are being generated by our University regarding PhD studies. We include links to them below in this page for your convenience.
Many of these documents are in Spanish. If you need clarification on any aspect of them in English, you can write an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To read all the UPM-wide announcements from all Vice-rectorates, please visit http://www.upm.es/UPM/SalaPrensa/NoticiasPortada/Avisos
Thank you for your understanding and stay safe.
Extension of maximum dates
The officially declared Spanish state of alert ("Estado de alarma por la crisis sanitaria COVID-19") automatically extends the following maximum dates, without the need of any explicit request:
- Maximum PhD. thesis deposit date, whether the Thesis has already entered an (ordinary or extraordinary) extension period or not.
- Maximum PhD. defense date, if the state of alert affects the period between the approval of the panel that has to assess the Thesis and the aforementioned date.
These maximum periods are re-started after June 1, 2020 (Resolución de 20 de mayo de 2020). Thus the general case is an extension of 79 days (March 14 to May 31 2020, included). However,the following exceptions exist with a shorter extension (official rectorate's document):
- If the admission date is between 14 March 2020 and 1 June 2020: the extension comprises from the admission date to 1 June 2020
- If the PhD student had a medical leave overlapping the deadline extension period: the overlapping days are not taken into account
- If the PhD student had a temporary leave during academic course 2019/2020, no extension is applied.
Official announcements and procedures
The following official announcements and procedures have been generated by UPM's Rectorate regarding PhD studies since the beginning of the sanitary crisis:
- [only applicable to theses deposited until the end of 2021] 29 january 2021: PROCEDIMIENTO PARA LA OBTENCIÓN DE LA MENCIÓN DE DOCTORADO INTERNACIONAL EN LA SITUACIÓN ACTUAL DE LIMITACIÓN DE DESPLAZAMIENTOS INTERNACIONALES.
- 29 january 2021: PROCEDIMIENTOS PARA REALIZAR DEFENSAS DE TESIS DOCTORALES. (This document amends the one dated 25 june 2020)
- 25 june 2020: PROCEDIMIENTOS PARA REALIZAR DEFENSAS DE TESIS DOCTORALES. (Two modalities of PhD Thesis defense are established: face to face, and via videoconferencing). (This document amends the one dated 12 may 2020 and is updated by the one dated 29 january 2021)
- [only applicable to theses deposited until the end of 2020] 25 june 2020: PROCEDIMIENTO PARA LA OBTENCIÓN DE LA MENCIÓN DE DOCTORADO INTERNACIONAL EN LA SITUACIÓN ACTUAL DE LIMITACIÓN DE DESPLAZAMIENTOS INTERNACIONALES.
- 12 may 2020: PROCEDIMIENTO PARA EL DEPÓSITO Y LA DEFENSA DE TESIS DOCTORALES POR VIDEOCONFERENCIA EN CONDICIONES DE EXCEPCIONALIDAD. Note: parts of this document are superseded. See document "PROCEDIMIENTOS PARA REALIZAR DEFENSAS DE TESIS DOCTORALES" (25 june 2020) above to know which ones.
- [superseded / obsoleto] 18 april 2020: RECOMENDACIONES PROVISIONALES PARA LA CONSULTA DE TESIS EN DEPÓSITOY LA DEFENSA DE TESIS DOCTORALES POR VIDEOCONFERENCIA EN LAS CONDICIONES DE EXCEPCIONALIDAD.
- [superseded / obsoleto] 26 march 2020: PROCEDIMIENTO EXTRAORDINARIO PARA REALIZAR TESIS POR VIDEOCONFERENCIA CON MOTIVO DE LA DECLARACIÓN DEL ESTADO DE ALARMA POR EL CORONAVIRUS.
- 25 march 2020: PAUTAS DE ACTUACIÓN ESPECÍFICAS EN DOCTORADO CON MOTIVO DE LA DECLARACIÓN DEL ESTADO DE ALARMA POR EL CORONAVIRUS.